Skip to Content
Chielolaw, PLLC mobile logo

Do I Need a Social Security Number to Work in the United States?

In short, the answer to this question is “no.” However, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) does require that employers report your earnings as well as your Social Security Number (SSN). Therefore, you will need to apply for an SSN as soon as possible. In the meantime, the Social Security Administration (SSA) will provide a letter to your employer that you have applied for an SSN so you can work. 

In addition to the letter from the SSA, you will also need documentation to prove you can legally reside and work in the United States. Chielo Law, PLLC is an immigration firm that will assist you in obtaining and maintaining the proper documentation for the type of authorization you have. For example, immigrants can be legally present in the United States with a work permit, visa, or green card. Other permitted statuses include refugees and students in the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program

For All Your Immigration Questions, Contact Chielo Law, PLLC

Obtaining an SSN and ensuring compliance with governing immigration laws so you can live and work in the United States is a critical matter not to be taken lightly. Neither is choosing the attorney that assists you in securing your future. If you have questions or concerns regarding your ability to work in the United States, the astute legal professionals at Chielo Law can help. Contact us today to schedule a free initial consultation.